Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Homeade Flower Challenge - Tuesday Morning Sketches

Hello!

I am guest designing again this week for Tuesday Morning Sketches, and our challenge this week is to make homemade flowers and use them in a project!   HOW FUN!!!!!  I love this kind of challenge, and have created a quick tutorial for you for the flowers I used on my project.  Be sure to hope over to Tuesday Morning Sketches to see our fabulous giveaway, and participate in the challenge this week!!

People are LOVING the Tim Holtz 3D flower dies, and as such, they seem to be out of stock almost everywhere.  Today I have a super easy way for you to create the same effect with a tool that you probably already have!

The Process

1. Using a scalloped circle punch (mine was 2 1/2 inches),
punch out scalloped circle from whatever paper you want to work with.
 





  

2. Using your paper scissors, make a cut into the scalloped circle,
starting between two of the scallops...









 3.  Continue cutting around the circle until you end up with something
that looks like this!






4. Using a mini-mister or spray bottle, spritz your scalloped circle with
some water to make the paper a bit more pliable.
 5. Begin twirling your paper to form your flower.  I start out with my
paper piercer because the very inside is a bit hard to work with at first.





 6. Once I have the beginning of the flower formed, I continue forming
the flower with my fingers.
 7.  When you are finished, you will end up with something like this!








 8. Again I used my paper piercer, but this time to gently open my flower up a bit.  This is not necessary, however I wanted my flower to be a bit more open.




 9. Using some Scotch Quick Dry glue I adhered the bottom flat piece of my scalloped circle to the base of my flower.








10. And you are done!  Add whatever bling you want to the middle and let your flower dry for a few minutes!







I ended up making three of these little guys for my card.

 After they dried a bit, I spritzed them with some Silver Smooch Spritz to give them a bit more 'something-something' (haha).


My Card


Cardstock: Kraft, Hawaiian Shores, Aqua Mist (Papertrey Ink)
Sentiment: Fillable Frames #5 (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: True Black (Papertrey Ink)
Glitter: Dazzling Diamonds (Stampin' Up!)
Silver Smooch Spritz (Stampin' Up!), 1/8 inch Score Tape, Pearls

Hope you enjoy! 
Please leave a comment.  I love to hear from you!

Lisa

13 comments:

Janis Lewis said...

Well aren't you the clever one! I never would have thought to do that. They are gorgeous! :) Janis

Jessica G. said...

I love CAS cards, especially this one -- those blooms are gorgeous and the glitter frame showcases them perfectly!!

Jackie Randolph said...

Lisa, Gorgeous roses and a very beautiful card!!! Great job with your tutorial too.

Simply Pam said...

So clever, gorgeous and classy. Love it! I have to try making my own flowers sometime now. :)

Thanks!
Pam

Melissa Craig said...

Lovely card Lisa. I have a similar tutorial on my blog, too, but I didn't use a scallop punch - very clever!! I really like the glittered frame, too. This card is so simple but so elegant.

Norma said...

Beautiful card. I've been dying to try this flower but I don't that tool you used to wrap the scallop. Great job!!!

Liz Goldhawk said...

Super duper cute!!! I love the way the scalloped edge looks, and I love the little pearl in the middle. I really like the way the clean design of the card really lets them be the stars!

Liz Goldhawk said...

Super duper cute!!! I love the way the scalloped edge looks, and I love the little pearl in the middle. I really like the way the clean design of the card really lets them be the stars!

Beebeebabs said...

Very pretty flower and thanks for the tutorial!!!

Tara said...

I love your card! Everything from the colours you used to those amazing flowers. Thanks for the instructions I will be trying some of these this weekend!
Tara

Theresa said...

Lisa, I love your flowers. I wish my roses came out as lovely as yours. I'll have to try your tutorial to see if I can make them better. I love your card, it's just perfect!!

Tammy E. said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Your flowers are so pretty. I can't get mine to turn out like yours. They are so tiny, and too tight. I'll keep working on it. :o)

Tara said...

absolutely gorgeous!

>

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin